Bridport Meeting House lies on South Street on the lefthand side opposite the Parish Church.
It started its life as a farm building bequeathed to Bridport Meeting by a local Quaker named Daniel Taylor way back in 1692. He set up several worthy Trusts in the town. The one which the Meeting House came to us via was called the Dunster Trust. This was only recently taken over to the Area Meeting's trust as the wealth of Dunster Trust struggled to maintain the upkeep of the buildings.
Bridport Quakers still have the onerous duty of maintaining the interior of the building and the employment of a warden or resident Friend to act as a wecoming presence and to manage the premises, etc..
At the rear of the buildings is a Peace Garden besides the burial site of many well known Quaker Friends past and present.
Daniel Taylor and his era of Friends are buried further down South Street at the entrance to the local council yard. A plaque lies over the south side of the entrance way, somewhat obscured from viiew.
Bridport Meeting holds two Meetings For Worship in the Meeting House. Both at 10.30 a.m. One on Sunday mornings (First Day) and the other on Wednesdays (Fourth Day).
Bridport Meeting has several other smaller groups associated with their Meeting in outlying towns and villages which meet at differing times and the editor awaits information to post here.
Enquiries 01305 486336
Meeting Email email@example.com
Friends meeting House, 95 South St., Bridport DT2 0DF
Directions - When meeting the traffic lights at the junction of East St with West St turn into South St and continue for some 300m. There's a large carpark halfway down signposted which is currently free from charges on a Sunday.